The Environmental Research & Education Foundation (EREF) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and is one of the largest sources of funding for solid waste research in North America. The EREF Board of Directors has identified a high priority research topic in the area of residential recycling and has issued a request for pre-proposals on the topic to support the long-term needs and strategic direction of the solid waste field.
Pre-proposal topics must relate to sustainable solid waste management practices and pertain to the following topic areas:
Submissions of scientific research pre-proposals related to residential recycling are invited in the following areas:
- Human Behavior
- Collection and Program Performance/Effectiveness
- Definitions, Policies and Regulations
- Reducing and Managing Contamination
- Technological Innovation & Processing Optimization
- Enhancing Material Recyclability
- Development of End Markets
- Recycling Value in terms of Economics and Sustainability
- Life-Cycle Assessment
Previously awarded grants have ranged from $15,000 to over $500,000 with the average grant amount in recent years being $160,000. Typical project durations are about 2 years.
Pre-proposals will be accepted online starting 15 calendar days prior to the deadline and up to the close of business (5:00 p.m. eastern time) on December 3, 2018.
More information: https://erefdn.org/recycling-rfp/